Creamy butternut squash and tomato soup
- April 2007
- For 4-6 people
- Ready in 50 minutes
Smooth butternut squash soup is a delicious winter warmer and is suitable for vegetarians too. The tomatoes add a layer of tang and creaminess.
- Vegetarian recipes
- 50g butter
- 2 large onions, roughly chopped
- 2 celery sticks, roughly chopped
- 2 x 400g cans chopped tomatoes with herbs
- 500g butternut squash, deseeded and diced
- 300ml fresh vegetable stock, hot
- 142ml whipping cream
- Melt the butter in a large saucepan over a medium heat. Cook the onions and celery for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until starting to soften. Stir in the tomatoes, squash and stock and bring to the boil. Turn down the heat and simmer for 30-35 minutes, until the squash is really tender. Cool.
- Either blitz in the pan with a stick blender or whizz in batches in a food processor or blender, until smooth. Gently reheat, stirring in the cream, until just simmering. Remove from the heat and season to taste.
Rinse Thermos flasks with boiling water, pour in the soup and seal.
Rate & review