Sausage and Guinness casserole
- December 2006
- Serves 8
- Hands on time 40 mins
This sausage and Guinness casserole recipe allows you to make one dish and freeze a second so you’ll have a comforting dinner ready for a rainy day, with no extra effort.
- 39g (13g saturated)
- 16.9g (5.7g sugar)
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 16 good-quality pork and herb sausages
- 2 large onions, sliced
- 2 celery sticks, chopped
- 12 rashers smoked streaky bacon, chopped
- 2 tbsp plain flour
- 2 tbsp tomato purée
- 330ml bottle Guinness
- 300ml beef stock, hot
- 250g chestnut mushrooms, halved
- 3 tbsp fresh parsley leaves, to garnish
- Heat the oil in a large casserole or deep, wide frying pan over a medium-high heat. Add the sausages and cook for 6-8 minutes, until browned all over. Remove and set aside.
- Add the onions, celery and bacon to the casserole and cook, stirring, for 6-8 minutes, until softened. Stir in the flour and tomato purée and cook for 1 minute. Pour in the Guinness, bring to the boil and cook for 2 minutes, until reduced. Add the stock, bring back to the boil, then return the sausages to the casserole with the mushrooms. Simmer for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, and season to taste.
- Transfer half the mixture to a freezer-proof container. Cool, then label and freeze (see freezing tip). Return the remaining mixture to the heat and simmer for a further 10 minutes, until the sausages are cooked and the sauce has thickened. Garnish with parsley and serve with mashed potato and savoy cabbage.
This easy casserole allows you to make one dish and freeze a second.
To freeze and reheat: Cover and freeze half the casserole for up to 3 months. Thaw in the fridge for 24 hours or until completely thawed. Transfer to a saucepan and simmer over a medium heat for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until piping hot.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Colcannon cakes with pancetta
We’ve teamed this Irish recipe for potato cakes with Italian pancetta and English Stilton –...
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...