Sausages with creamy lentils
- February 2012
- Serves 4
- Takes 10 minutes to make, 40-45 minutes to cook
This comforting sausage dish uses green lentils, a great source of protein and an essential store cupboard ingredient.
- 26.9g (8.5g saturated)
- 38.6g (6.4g sugars)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 400g (about 6) good quality sausages, pinched, twisted and cut in the middle to make half-size sausages
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp chilli flakes
- 2 garlic cloves, finely sliced
- 250g dried green lentils, rinsed well under cold water
- ½ bunch of fresh coriander, leaves picked and chopped, stalks retained
- 800ml hot chicken stock, fresh or from a stock cube
- 150ml natural yogurt
- Heat 1 tbsp of the oil in a shallow casserole or sauté pan. Add the mini sausages and fry for 5 minutes until browned all over. Remove to a plate and set aside. Add the remaining oil and the onion to the pan, then cook for 8 minutes to soften. Stir through the cumin, chilli and garlic, then cook for 2 minutes more.
- Add the lentils and coriander stalks to the pan, then pour over the stock and cover. Bring to boil, then simmer for 15 minutes. Nestle the sausages on top of the lentils and cook, covered, for 10-15 minutes more or until the lentils are tender and the sausages are cooked through. Taste the lentils and season, stir through the yogurt and coriander leaves, then serve.
These creamy lentils are versatile and would be fabulous served without the sausages, alongside lamb or slices of griddled halloumi with a good squeeze of lemon juice.
Rate & review
Subscribe to our magazine
Food lovers, treat yourself this Christmas... Enjoy 12 months of magazines for £29.99 – just £2.50 an issue.Subscribe
Unleash your inner chef
Looking for inspiration? Receive the latest recipes with our newsletter