Seared steak on Mediterranean vegetables
- August 2006
- Serves 2
- Ready in 35 minutes
This simple recipe couples steak – so soft you could eat it with a spoon – with a gorgeous garlicky dressing. A quick, healthy dish that will satisfy everyone.
- 10g (2.5g saturated)
- 13.5g (11.6g sugars)
- Leaves from 2 fresh thyme sprigs
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small garlic clove, crushed
- 3 tbsp virtually fat-free yogurt
- 1 large red pepper, halved lengthways, deseeded and cut into 8 thick slices
- 1 medium red onion, cut into thin wedges
- 2 medium courgettes, cut lengthways into 4-5mm-thick slices
- 175g fillet steak
- Put the thyme leaves into a mortar and bruise lightly with the pestle or the end of the rolling pin. Add 2 teaspoons of the oil, some seasoning and set aside.
- Mix the crushed garlic with a little salt to a smooth paste in a bowl. Stir in the yogurt and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Heat a non-stick griddle or frying pan over a high heat, until smoking. Reduce the heat to medium, brush with a thin layer of the olive oil now and then, and cook the vegetables in batches, turning once, until tender: the peppers for 15 minutes, the onions for 6-8 minutes and the courgettes for 2-3 minutes. Transfer to a baking tray as each batch is cooked and keep warm in a low oven.
- Heat the pan to high. Brush the fillet steak lightly with the remaining olive oil and season well. Sear for 3 minutes on each side for medium-rare, rest for 5 minutes, then slice. Arrange the vegetables on each plate and top with slices of steak. Drizzle with the thyme oil and top each with a spoonful of garlic yogurt dressing.
To speed things up, cook the vegetables in separate frying pans.
Rate & review
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...