Seared steaks with fresh salmoriglio and potato slices
- June 2005
- Serves 4
- Takes 10 min to make, 10-16 min on the barbecue
Salmoriglio is a simple fresh sauce from Sicily, made with fresh herbs, garlic and olive oil. It’s particularly good with barbecued meats and fish.
- Dairy-free recipes
- 41.5g (9.8g saturated)
- 39.5g (1.5g sugar)
- 900g potatoes, such as Maris Piper or King Edward, unpeeled
- Vegetable oil
- 4 sirloin steaks, each about 225-300g
For the salmoriglio
- 5 tbsp roughly chopped fresh oregano, thyme or marjoram
- 1 plump garlic clove, roughly chopped
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 8 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- Make the salmoriglio. Using a pestle and mortar, pound your choice of herb, garlic and sea salt until it’s a paste. Alternatively use a mini processor to blend the herb, garlic and salt together. Add the lemon juice, then slowly pour in the olive oil, stirring well. Season well with freshly ground black pepper. It should look a little like pesto. Set aside to allow the flavours to develop.
- Meanwhile, cut the unpeeled potatoes into slices about 1cm thick. Put into a large bowl, drizzle with some vegetable oil and toss until well coated. Brush the cooking grate with oil. Arrange the potatoes directly over a medium heat source – leaving plenty of room for the steaks – and cook for 2-4 minutes.
- Add the steaks to the grill and cook for 8-10 minutes, turning both the steaks and potatoes once. Cook the steaks for an extra 1-2 minutes if you like them well done. Arrange the steaks on a platter and surround with the potatoes. Spoon the salmoriglio over the steaks and serve with a green salad.
This recipe is best suited to a big barbecue as it needs space. You can cook the steaks and potatoes on a griddle pan, following the same cooking times, but you’ll have to do them in batches and keep them warm in an oven. Cook the steaks last.
Rate & review
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...