Seared tuna with a Sicilian tomatoey potato salad
- May 2010
- 650g waxy salad potatoes, quartered
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, sliced
- 2 onions, finely sliced
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 fresh red chilli, deseeded and chopped
- 4 anchovy fillets, roughly chopped
- 400g can plum tomatoes
- Juice of ½ lemon
- 1 tsp sugar
- 12 cherry tomatoes
- 4 x 150g fresh tuna steaks
- 1 tbsp snipped fresh chives, to garnish
- Cook the potatoes in a saucepan of boiling salted water for 15-20 minutes until just tender. Drain and set aside.
- Meanwhile, heat 1½ tbsp of the olive oil in a saucepan. Add the garlic, onion, oregano, chilli and anchovies and cook over a low heat for 5 minutes. Tip the canned tomatoes into a sieve over a bowl to collect the juices. Add the juices to the pan, then the lemon juice and sugar. Cook until thick, then season.
- Crush the canned tomatoes and add to the sauce with the cherry tomatoes and the potatoes. Cook for 5 minutes until thickened.
- Heat a griddle pan until very hot. Season the tuna, brush it with the rest of the oil and cook for 1 minute on each side. Serve on the warm salad, garnished with chives.
This recipe is taken from The Essential Diabetes Cookbook by Antony Worrall-Thompson with Louise Blair, BSc, in association with Diabetes UK.
Rate & review