Smoked mackerel and couscous salad
- July 2007
- Serves 4
- Hands on time 15 mins
Bring the taste of North Africa to your table with this seasonal smoked mackerel and couscous salad recipe.
- Dairy-free recipes
- Gluten-free recipes
- 29.7g (4.6g saturated)
- 40.2g (12.3g sugars)
- 200g couscous
- 150g broccoli, cut into small florets
- Grated zest and juice of ½ lemon, plus extra wedges to serve
- 1 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- ¼ cucumber, halved lengthways, deseeded and diced
- 100g dried, ready-to-eat apricots, roughly chopped
- 200g peppered smoked mackerel fillets, skinned and flaked
- 15g pumpkin seeds
- 15g sunflower seeds
- 50g blanched whole almonds, toasted
- Put the couscous in a large bowl and pour over 250ml boiling water. Cover and leave for 5 minutes, until the liquid has been absorbed. Fluff up the grains with a fork. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, blanch the broccoli in boiling water for 3 minutes, until just tender. Drain, plunge into cold water, then drain again and pat dry on kitchen paper. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, mix together the lemon zest and juice with the oil. Pour over the couscous, season well and toss together. Add the cucumber, apricots and broccoli and toss again. Divide between plates, top with the mackerel and seeds and serve with lemon wedges and the almonds.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Easy dinner ideas
Grilled mackerel with orange and basil-dressed pepper salad
Omega 3-rich fresh mackerel pairs perfectly with zingy orange and sweet peppers in this 20-minute...
Pan-fried mackerel with warm beetroot, tomato and lime salsa
Seasonal, healthy and quick – what more could you ask for in a supper?
Healthy fish recipes
Pan-fried mackerel with pesto, beetroot and lentils
This simple pan-fried mackerel recipe is packed full of essential omega 3 fatty acids and...