Smoky grilled mackerel fillets with Tuscan salad
- May 2010
- Serves 4
- Takes 15 min to make, 20 min to cook, plus resting
This mackerel recipe will bring a little Italian sunshine to your mealtime.
- 38.2g (6.7 saturated)
- 49.2g (11.9g sugar)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp smoked sweet paprika
- 4 mackerel fillets, pin-boned, skin slashed
- 4 slices of sourdough bread
For the Tuscan salad
- 2 red and 2 yellow peppers, halved
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 90g pimento-stuffed olives, halved
- Handful fresh basil leaves
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tsp red wine vinegar
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- Make the salad. Preheat the grill to medium-high. Place the peppers skin-side up on a baking tray, drizzle with oil and grill for 15 minutes until charred. Place in a bowl and cover with cling film. Cool, peel and chop into chunks. Place in a large bowl with the olives and basil.
- Put the onion in a sieve, run under cold water, then add to the bowl. Whisk together the extra-virgin olive oil, vinegar and garlic. Toss through the salad. Set aside for 15 minutes.
- Mix 1 tbsp of the olive oil and the paprika together, season and brush over the skin of the mackerel, then place skin-side up on a baking tray. Grill for 4-5 minutes until the skin is crisp and the fish is just cooked.
- Drizzle the bread with the remaining oil and grill each side until golden. Divide among plates, spoon over the Tuscan salad and serve with the grilled mackerel.
Rate & review