Spiced steak with lemony potatoes and broccoli
- May 2015
- 4 x British sirloin steaks
- 2 tbsp coriander seeds
- 2 tbsp fennel seeds
- 1 tsp sweet smoked paprika
- 1 tsp English mustard
- Extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 broccoli head
- 500g baby new potatoes
- Juice ½ -1 lemon
- 1 bunch fresh mint leaves
- Toast the seeds in a pan on a medium heat for 1-2 minutes until fragrant. Tip into a bowl and bash with a rolling pin to crush coarsely, or grind briefly in a pestle and mortar. Add the paprika, mustard and just enough oil to make a loose paste. Stir and season. Pour over the steaks.
- Break the broccoli into florets and pick the leaves off the mint. Get a pan of salted water boiling and a griddle pan smoking hot on a high heat.
- When the water is boiling, add the potatoes and cook for 10-15 minutes until tender.
- Meanwhile griddle the steaks for 2-3 minutes on each side for medium (see tip), then rest for 3-5 minutes. When the potatoes are nearly ready, add the broccoli. Cook for 2 minutes or until just tender.
- Drain the veg, put in a bowl and rough up the potatoes with a fork. Add oil and lemon juice to taste, then add the mint. Season and toss, then serve.
Don’t overcrowd the griddle pan. Cook in batches if you have to.
Rate & review
Subscribe to our magazine
Food lovers, treat yourself this Christmas... Enjoy 12 months of magazines for £29.99 – just £2.50 an issue.Subscribe
Unleash your inner chef
Looking for inspiration? Receive the latest recipes with our newsletter