Spring onion and Spanish ham salad with sherry dressing
- February 2015
- Serves 4
- Hands-on time 30 min, oven time 20 min
Salty ham, sweet roasted spring onions, fluffy potato and a sticky sherry dressing make this Spanish salad recipe a must-try.
- 13.7g (2.3g saturated)
- 40.1g (11.9g sugars)
- 2 bunches spring onions, trimmed and cut in half
- 4 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 700g waxy potatoes (such as charlotte), cut into large chunks
- 200ml dark dry sherry, such as oloroso
- 2 tbsp clear honey
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 100g rocket leaves
- Bunch fresh basil leaves
- 60g Spanish jam (ibérico or serrano), torn into strips
- Heat the oven to 170°C/fan150°C/gas 3½. Toss the spring onions in a bowl with 1 tbsp of the olive oil, lay out on a baking sheet and roast for 20 minutes or until golden and soft. Leave to cool slightly.
- Meanwhile, put the potatoes into a pan of water, bring to the boil, then cook for around 15 minutes or until tender. Drain, then leave to steam dry and cool slightly in the pan.
- While the potatoes are cooking, put the sherry in a small pan with the honey and simmer until reduced by two thirds. Stir through the mustard, then drizzle in the rest of the oil, whisking with a fork until emulsified (thickened). Taste, season.
- Toss the spring onions with the potatoes, rocket and basil, then stir through the dressing. Transfer to a serving platter, scatter over the strips of ham and serve.
Prepare the potatoes and spring onions and keep chilled for up to 2 days. Make the dressing at the last minute, then combine everything and serve at room temperature.
Rate & review
Subscribe to our magazine
Unleash your inner chef
Looking for inspiration? Receive the latest recipes with our newsletter