Sticky pork ribs
- February 2013
- Serves 6
- 6 hours 30 minutes- 7 hours 30 minutes to cook, plus overnight marinating.
This sticky pork rib recipe is American comfort food at its finest. Don’t worry about getting messy – these spicy, sweet ribs are best enjoyed when eaten with your fingers!
- Dairy-free recipes
- 38.4g (10.8g saturated)
- 27.9g (24.9g sugars)
- 2 tbsp fennel seeds
- 2 tsp cumin seeds
- 2 tsp coriander seeds
- 1 tbsp black peppercorns
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 green chillies, finely chopped
- 2 star anise
- 75ml maple syrup
- 3 tbsp chipotle paste
- 3 tbsp treacle
- 1 tbsp English mustard
- 100ml apple juice
- 150ml ketchup
- 2 tbsp quince or redcurrant jelly, or a mixture of both
- 2 tsp Gentleman’s Relish
- 2kg pork belly rib rack
- In a dry frying pan, toast the fennel, cumin and coriander seeds and the peppercorns for 30 seconds. Crush coarsely in a pestle and mortar.
- Heat the oil in a frying pan, then gently fry the onion for 10 minutes. Add the crushed spices with the garlic, chillies and star anise, then cook for another 2-3 minutes.
- Transfer to a food processor and blend to a paste. Add the remaining ingredients (except the ribs), season with sea salt and mix well.
- Put the ribs into a large bowl, then pour over the marinade. Rub to coat, cover with cling film, then transfer to the fridge to marinate overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 110°C/fan 90°C/gas ¼. Put the ribs into a roasting tray, reserving the marinade. Cover the tray with foil, then cook for 6-7 hours or until the meat is really tender and falling off the bone. Meanwhile, bubble the marinade in a small pan over a medium heat for 2-3 minutes until reduced and thickened, then use to baste the ribs regularly.
- Remove the tray from the oven and cut between the bones of the rib rack to create individual ribs. Turn up the oven temperature to 220°C/fan200°C/gas 7, then cook for 10 minutes more, turning, until sticky.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Sticky ribs with bean salsa and coleslaw
Get into a fine mess with this recipe for sticky ribs, great for a party...
Pork ribs with a sweet and spicy glaze
This juicy, flavoursome pork recipe is a real taste of the American South and perfect...
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...