Sticky spiced soy meatballs with spinach rice
- August 2013
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2cm fresh ginger, grated
- 1 red chilli, finely chopped
- 2 tsp Chinese five-spice powder
- 400g free-range British sausagemeat or pork mince
- 300g basmati rice
- 2 large handfuls of frozen spinach (about 250g), defrosted, as much water squeezed out as possible
- 1 tbsp honey
- 3 tbsp soy sauce
- Heat 2 tbsp of the oil in a frying pan over a medium heat and gently fry the onion for 10 minutes until soft and translucent. Add the garlic, ginger, chilli and five-spice powder, then fry for 2 minutes. Allow to cool.
- Put the meat in a bowl and add the cooled onion mixture. (If using pork mince, season well.) Mix with your hands, then shape into 16 small, evenly sized meatballs.
- Cook the rice according to the pack instructions, adding the spinach just before the end of the cooking time. Drain and set aside, then stir the spinach into the rice.
- Meanwhile, heat the remaining oil in the pan over a medium heat and fry the meatballs for 10 minutes, turning occasionally, until golden on all sides and cooked through. Add the honey, soy sauce and a splash of water, then cook for 2 minutes until sticky. Serve the meatballs on the spinach rice with the juices spooned over.
Add chopped fresh coriander leaves and a squeeze of lime to give the dish an extra lift.
Rate & review
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...