Summer berry shortbread tarts with rose cream
- June 2010
- Makes 15 tarts
- Takes 30 min to make, 20 min to cook
These fruity mini tarts, lightly scented with rose, make a divine dish at a summer garden party.
- 22.3g (12.4g saturated)
- 21.5g (2.5g sugar)
- 125g unsalted butter, softened
- 75g caster sugar
- 1 large free-range egg yolk
- 175g plain flour
- Pinch of salt
- 60g roasted hazelnuts, finely ground
- 75g white chocolate, chopped into chunks
- Splash of milk (optional)
- 300g mixed summer berries
- 2-3 tbsp runny honey
For the cream
- 300ml double cream
- 1½ tbsp icing sugar, plus extra to serve
- 1-2 tsp rosewater, to taste
- To make the shortbread, cream the butter and caster sugar together with a wooden spoon or electric whisk until really light and fluffy. Beat in the egg yolk.
- Gradually mix in the flour, salt, ground hazelnuts and chocolate with a wooden spoon, then bring together with your fingers to form a dough – if the mixture is dry, add a splash of milk. Knead lightly for a few seconds, then shape into a disc, wrap in cling film and chill for at least 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 160°C/fan140°C/gas 3. Roll out the shortbread to the thickness of a pound coin. Cut out circles with a 10cm cutter, re-rolling any trimmings (you should make about 15). Put the rounds on a lined baking sheet and bake for 18-20 minutes until lightly golden brown. Cool on the tray for a few minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Lightly whip the cream with the icing sugar and rosewater until it forms soft peaks. Dollop a spoonful of cream onto each shortbread, smoothing it over with the back of a spoon, then top with a few summer berries. Drizzle with the honey, dust with icing sugar and serve.
Try this with orange flower water as a variation on the rosewater.
To freeze: uncooked shortbread dough will keep in the fridge for up to a week or can be frozen for up to 3 months, wrapped in cling film. Defrost fully, then continue. The baked shortbread biscuits can be frozen for up to 3 months.
Rate & review