Sweet and spicy chicken skewers
- June 2016
- Serves 10
- Hands-on time 25 min, plus marinating
Marinated in yogurt, honey and mustard then grilled to charred, smoky perfection – serve these chicken skewers as a light starter or summer canapé.
- 4.9g (1.8g saturated)
- 8.6g (8.5g sugars)
- 1kg British free-range boneless and skinless chicken thighs, sliced into large chunks
For the marinade
- 500g natural yogurt
- 3 tbsp clear honey
- 2 tbsp wholegrain mustard
- 2 tbsp dijon mustard
- Juice 1 lemon
- ½ tsp cayenne pepper
You’ll also need
- Around 20 wooden/metal skewers, about 18cm in length (soak wooden ones in water first for 30 minutes)
- In a large bowl, mix the marinade ingredients with a pinch of salt and pepper until well combined. Remove half the marinade to another small bowl, cover with cling film and chill.
- Add the chicken to the marinade in the large bowl and toss to coat. Cover with cling film and chill for at least 1 hour, but preferably overnight.
- Heat the grill to high. When ready, thread 3 pieces of chicken onto each skewer, folding them over so they’re skewered twice (discard the marinade). Put the kebabs on a foil-lined baking tray and grill for 10-15 minutes, turning once, until cooked. Serve with the reserved marinade from step 1 as a dip.
To barbecue the chicken, marinate as in the recipe, then grill for 10-15 minutes, away from direct heat, turning, until cooked through and lightly charred.
Marinate the chicken up to 24 hours ahead. Once cooled, the cooked skewers will keep covered in the fridge for 24 hours.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Sweet potato recipes
Crispy-skinned chicken breasts with baked sweet potatoes and chipotle cream
We’ve used chipotle to make the cream in this healthy chicken dish, but feel free...