Sweet chilli jam
- November 2017
- Makes about 700g
- Hands-on time 25 min
Our sweet chilli jam makes a gorgeous gift for people who love sweet and spicy food. Make sure to adjust the quantity of chilli to suit your taste.
- no fat
- 0.1g protein
- 11g (11g sugars)
- no fibre
- no salt
- 75-125g fresh red chillies, stalks removed
- 225g cider vinegar
- 500g jam sugar
- Put the whole chillies in a food processor or mini chopper and whizz to a rough paste. Scrape into a large heavy-based saucepan set over a medium heat and add the other ingredients. Put a saucer in the freezer (to test for setting).
- Stir until the sugar dissolves, turn up the heat and bring the jam to a rolling boil for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally, then take off the heat.
- Spoon a little jam onto the saucer from the freezer. Return it to the freezer for 5 minutes, then push the jam with your finger. If it wrinkles, it’s ready. If not, return the pan to the heat and the saucer to the freezer and boil for 5 minutes, then check the set again. When set, turn off the heat and leave to stand for 5 minutes.
- Using a sterilised funnel, pour the jam while still hot into the sterilised jars, seal them and leave to cool fully before wrapping and packing.
The heat of the jam will depend on how hot the chillies are. For a milder flavour go for a smaller quantity of chillies.
The unopened jam will keep for up to 6 months. Once open keep in the fridge for up to 1 month.
Rate & review