Orange chocolate marzipans
- December 2009
- for lots of people
- Takes 35 minutes to make, 5 minutes to cook, plus chilling
An ideal home-made gift. This recipe for orange chocolate marzipans, wrapped up with out Winter bark, will win hearts this Christmas.
- 91 kcals
- 5g (1.7g saturated)
- 10.5g (9.8g sugar)
- 115g ground almonds
- 55g golden caster sugar
- 55g icing sugar, plus extra for dusting
- 1 medium free-range egg yolk
- Grated zest of 1 orange
- 2-3 tsp Armagnac or brandy
- 250g orange-flavoured dark chocolate (we like Green & Black’s Organic Maya Gold, from major supermarkets)
- Candied orange peel (we like Sundora candied peel, from Sainsbury’s), thinly sliced, to decorate
- Chocolate coffee beans (from delis and chocolate shops), to decorate
- Whizz the almonds, caster and icing sugar, egg yolk, orange zest and Armagnac in a food processor until it forms a paste (add a little more Armagnac if it seems crumbly). Wrap in cling film and place in the freezer for 10 minutes to chill.
- Roll out on a surface dusted with icing sugar until 2cm thick, then stamp out rounds with a 3.5cm round fluted cutter. Place on a baking sheet lined with baking paper and chill until needed. Put the chocolate in a bowl set over a pan of simmering water, stirring, until melted. Remove and leave to cool a little.
- Lightly press marzipan rounds on the prongs of a fork and lower into the chocolate. Lift out and put on a wire rack until any excess chocolate has dripped off, then return to the lined baking sheet. When almost set, top with candied peel or a chocolate coffee bean. Leave to set fully.
These chocolates will keep, covered and refrigerated, for up to 2 weeks.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...