Toffee apple shortbreads
- November 2006
- Serves 8-10
- Hands on time 20 mins, 20 mins baking time, plus chilling and cooling
The apple in these delicious toffee apple shortbreads gives them a lovely fruitiness.
- 100g dried ready-to-eat apples, finely sliced
- 450g jar caramel toffee sauce (we used Merchant Gourmet Dulce de Leche, from major supermarkets), warmed to pouring consistency
- 200g plain chocolate, melted
For the biscuit base
- 110g butter, softened, plus extra for greasing
- 40g caster sugar
- 175g plain flour
- 10g cornflour
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/fan160°C/gas 4. Grease and line a 17cm x 27cm x 4cm deep baking tin. To make the biscuit base, cream the butter and sugar until pale and fluffy. Sift in the flour and cornflour and, using your hands, work to a dough. Place in the tin and use a glass tumbler to roll out flat and into the corners. Bake for 20 minutes or until golden. Set aside to cool.
- Scatter the apples over the base, pour over the caramel sauce and spread to level out. Chill in the fridge for 1 hour.
- Pour the melted chocolate over the caramel and apples, then spread evenly. Set aside to cool at room temperature for about 2 hours or until set. Remove from the tin and cut into 15 slices.
Rate & review