Ultimate hot chocolate with honeycomb cookies
- November 2011
- Serves 6
- Takes 20 minutes to make, 20 minutes to cook, plus cooling
Reward yourself with this perfect afternoon treat: a homemade hot chocolate recipe served with homemade honeycomb cookies.
- 43.5g (25.9g saturated)
- 114.6g (83.4g sugars)
- 200g dark chocolate, plus extra for grating
- 4 mugs of whole milk
- 4 tbsp double cream
- 2 tbsp caster sugar
For the honeycomb cookies
- Groundnut oil for greasing
- 150g caster sugar
- 3 tbsp golden syrup
- 2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 125g unsalted butter
- 100g soft light brown sugar
- 2 medium free-range eggs, beaten
- 50g milk chocolate, chopped
- 250g self-raising flour
- To make the honeycomb, lightly grease a baking sheet with oil, then set aside. In a small pan, melt the sugar and golden syrup together over a gentle heat, then bring to the boil and bubble until you have a lovely dark golden caramel. Remove from the heat and sprinkle with the bicarbonate of soda, swirling gently to mix (be very careful – it will bubble and may splatter a bit). Pour immediately onto the baking sheet and set aside to cool completely.
- Preheat the oven to 160°C/fan140°C/gas 3. Line 2 baking sheets with baking paper. Beat the butter and sugar together with a hand mixer until light and fluffy, then beat in the eggs in 2 batches. Coarsely crush 100g of the cooled honeycomb, then fold through the mixture along with the chocolate and flour. Spoon heaped teaspoonfuls of the mixture onto the baking sheets, spaced well apart, then bake for 10-12 minutes. Cool them on a wire rack while you make the hot chocolate.
- Melt the chocolate in a heatproof bowl set over a pan of simmering water, then divide among 6 cups (or divide the chocolate evenly among 6 cups, then gently microwave until melted). Heat the milk, cream and caster sugar in a saucepan until boiling, then pour into the mugs, onto the melted chocolate. Stir well. Top with grated chocolate and serve with the warm cookies.
Any leftover honeycomb will keep in a sealed plastic container for up to a week.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...