Vegetable, rice and feta tart
- April 2007
- For 4-6 people
- Takes 35 minutes to make, 40 minutes to bake, plus cooling
This vegetable, rice and feta tart makes the perfect picnic recipe, come rain or shine.
- Vegetarian recipes
- 300g fresh spinach, washed
- 3 large eggs
- 300g courgettes, thinly sliced
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 100g risotto rice
- 100g feta cheese, crumbled
For the pastry
- 300g plain flour, plus extra to dust
- 1 tsp olive oil, plus extra to grease
- Make the pastry. Put the flour and a pinch of salt in a bowl, then stir in 150ml cold water and the oil to make a smooth dough. Cover with a damp cloth and rest for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, place the spinach in a large saucepan over a gentle heat with the water that clings to the leaves. Cook for a few minutes until wilted. Tip into a colander, cool, then squeeze out any excess liquid and chop roughly.
- Beat 2 eggs in a large bowl. Add the courgettes, onion, rice, feta and spinach. Season and mix well.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/fan160°C/gas 4. Cut the pastry in half and roll each half out on a floured surface to a thickness of about 5mm. Use 1 piece to line an oiled, 20cm x 30cm shallow Swiss roll tin. Spoon in the filling and spread evenly. Cover with the remaining pastry, trim the edges and press together to seal.
- Beat the remaining egg and brush over the pastry. Bake for 40 minutes, until the pastry is golden and the filling is piping hot. Cool in the tin slightly, then transfer to a chopping board. Cut into 6 or 12 squares and pack into an airtight container lined with baking paper.
Rate & review
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...