Warm vegetable salad
- October 2006
- 1kg butternut squash
- 1 red onion, cut into 8 wedges
- 2 peppers, deseeded and cut into large pieces
- 1 tbsp fresh thyme leaves, plus extra sprigs to garnish (optional)
- 1 large garlic clove, crushed
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 50g bag wild rocket
- 1 tbsp balsamic glaze (we love Merchant Gourmet, from major supermarkets)
- 100g feta, crumbled
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/fan180°C/gas 6. Peel and deseed the squash and cut into 8 thick wedges or large chunks. Put into a roasting tin with the onion and peppers. Add the thyme leaves, garlic and olive oil and toss well to coat. Pop the roasting tin in the oven for 45 minutes or until the vegetables are tender and lightly charred.
- Transfer the vegetables (including any juices) to a large serving bowl. Toss through the wild rocket and balsamic glaze.
- To serve, divide the warm salad between 4 plates and scatter the feta over the top. Garnish with the extra thyme, if using.
Leftover squash is great in mash: boil up with a few potatoes, drain, and mash with seasoning and grated Parmesan.
Rate & review