Wheaten bread with sesame and sunflower seeds
- April 2008
- Serves 8
- Takes 15 minutes to make, plus 30-40 minutes baking
There’s nothing better than homemade bread – the taste and the smell as it cooks. This bread recipe is made with wholemeal flour, sesame seeds, sunflower seeds and walnuts.
- 325g wholemeal flour
- 75g plain flour
- 40g rolled oats
- 1½ tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp sesame seeds, plus extra for sprinkling
- 2 tbsp sunflower seeds, plus extra for sprinkling
- 75g walnuts, chopped
- 325ml natural yogurt
- 1 tbsp honey
- 50ml milk
- Preheat the oven to 230c/fan210c/gas 8. Place the flours, oats, bicarbonate of soda and salt into a mixing bowl with the seeds and walnuts. Mix the yogurt and honey together and stir into flour with the milk. Mix gently to make a soft dough
- Shape lightly and place in a 900g loaf tin. Scatter with a few extra seeds. Bake for 10 minutes, then reduce the oven temperature to 200c/fan180c/gas 6 and bake for a further 20-30 minutes, until golden and firm to the touch. It should sound hollow when the base is tapped. Turn out from the tin and leave to cool on a wire rack.
This bread keeps for 3-4 days in a paper bag.
Rate & review