Wilted spinach with crumbed pork cutlets
- March 2015
- 1 small red onion
- 150g fresh breadcrumbs (seasoned)
- 4 large British free-range pork chops
- 2tbsp olive oil, plus extra for brushing
- 400g baby spinach
- 2 tbsp sherry vinegar
- A handful of pitted kalamata olives
- 10g chopped fresh mint
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 110g crumbled feta
- Heat the oven to 200°C/fan180°C/gas 6. Slice the onion, cover with water in a bowl and put in the freezer to soften its sharpness. Put the breadcrumbs on a plate, brush both sides of the pork chops with the olive oil then press the chops into the breadcrumbs.
- Heat the olive oil in an ovenproof frying pan over a medium-high heat, then add the chops. Cook for 2 minutes on each side until golden. Transfer the pan to the oven for 15 minutes until the chops are cooked. Wash and drain the spinach. Drain the onion, pat dry with kitchen paper, then mix with the 1 tbsp sherry vinegar and a pinch of salt. Toss the spinach in a pan over a high heat for 1-2 minutes until wilted with no liquid.
- Put the olives, mint, the onion and spinach in a bowl. Add the extra-virgin olive oil, the remaining sherry vinegar and feta. Season, toss and serve with the chops.
Pit olives easily by rolling on a board and pressing with your thumb, just off centre, to ease out the stone – be gentle, they can spurt juice.
Rate & review
Subscribe to our magazine
Food stories, skills and tested recipes, straight to your door... Enjoy 5 issues for just £5 with our special introductory offer.Subscribe
Unleash your inner chef
Looking for inspiration? Receive the latest recipes with our newsletter