Winter fruit compote with yogurt
- February 2006
- Serves 4
- Takes 10 minutes to make, plus overnight soaking and overnight chilling
This seasonal winter compote is made with a mixture of dried and fresh fruit.
- Gluten-free recipes
- 200g dried prunes
- 175g dried apricots
- Finely grated zest of 1 small lemon
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 vanilla pod
- 3 tbsp runny honey, plus extra for drizzling
- 2 bananas
- 1 red-skinned pear
- 225ml fresh orange juice
- 200g red grapes
- Put the prunes and apricots into a bowl and cover with 1 litre boiling water. Cover and soak for 8 hours or overnight.
- The next day, transfer the fruits and soaking liquor to a saucepan or flameproof casserole. Add the lemon zest, cinnamon and vanilla. Mix the honey with 4 tablespoons of warm water and add to the fruits. Bring to a simmer and cook for 5 minutes or until the fruits are tender. Leave to cool, then cover and chill overnight.
- To serve, peel and slice the bananas and quarter, core and slice the pear. Stir into the dried fruits with the orange juice and grapes. Spoon into bowls, drizzle with honey and serve with low-fat natural bio yogurt, if you like.
Dried fruit are packed with soluble fibre. Don’t use no-need-to-soak fruits for this recipe as they will fall apart during cooking.
Rate & review