What to do with leftover dried figs
Dried figs are a great source of sweetness and goodness – packed with vitamins and minerals. While they do keep for a while, find out how you can put any leftovers to good use, and free up your cupboard space.
Recipes using dried figs
- Stuffed pumpkin with bulgar wheat, feta and figs
- Chicken tagine with figs and fruity couscous
- Moroccan lamb shanks
How to use leftover dried figs
- Breakfast smoothie. Soak dried figs and almonds overnight in water or apple juice. The next day, whizz them together with a handful of frozen berries, some porridge oats and milk.
- Devils on horseback. Soak dried figs in calvados for a few hours, then wrap in smoked streaky bacon and grill until the bacon is crisp. Serve on skewers as a nibble.
- Pork stuffing. Finely chop dried figs, then mix with chopped hazelnuts, fresh breadcrumbs, a splash of sherry and some fresh thyme leaves. Stuff a pork loin, roll and roast.
Subscribe to our magazine
Food lovers, treat yourself this Christmas... Enjoy 12 months of magazines for £29.99 – just £2.50 an issue.Subscribe
Unleash your inner chef
Looking for inspiration? Receive the latest recipes with our newsletter