Gingerbread house recipe
Gingerbread houses are deceptively simple to make and are so creative. Make one as a centrepiece on a cake or on the festive table.
125g unsalted butter
100g dark muscovado sugar
3 tbsp golden syrup
300g plain flour
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
2 tsp ground ginger
1 large egg white
250g sifted icing sugar
1. Preheat the oven to 200°C/fan180°C/gas 6.
2. In a pan, melt butter, dark muscovado sugar and golden syrup.
3. Mix plain flour, bicarbonate of soda and ground ginger in a big bowl. Pour over the butter mixture and stir to a stiff dough.
4. Roll out on baking paper to 3mm thick. Cut out 6 pieces in the following sizes, as in the picture, above:
• 2 x 7.5cm x 3.5cm rectangles
• 2 x 6.5cm x 3.5cm rectangles, each topped with a 6.5cm-high triangle
• 2 x 10cm x 8cm rectangles (roof)
5. Space out on a lined baking sheet. Bake for 10 minutes or until just firm, then allow to cool for a couple of minutes before trimming again. Cool completely before assembling.
6. Mix 1 large egg white with sifted icing sugar to make a smooth, thick icing. Fill a piping bag and pipe generous lines to join the four walls together. Allow to dry before adding the roof. Dry completely before decorating as you like.
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine and receive a free chrome wine rackSubscribe