How to chop a shallot
Follow this cheffy technique for a tip-top chop.
- Buy the long, thin banana shallots as they’re easier to peel and chop more finely than the round ones. Halve lengthways, top and tail, then peel.
- Remove the inner core and set aside, keeping the top three layers.
- Flatten the top layers with the palm of your hand.
- Finely slice lengthways, leaving 5mm at the top to grip with your fingers. Still gripping, slice the other way to create fine dice.
- Repeat the cutting process with the inner layers, without flattening them out first.
- Make sure your knife or cleaver is very sharp.
- Keep one end of the shallot intact.
- For fine dice, make the slices close together.