Beetroot and shallot tarte tatin with walnut, orange and dill dressing
- November 2014
- Serves 6
- Hands-on time 30 min, oven time 1 hour 20-40 min
This beetroot and shallot tarte tatin makes a great sharing starter and adds a pop of colour to the dinner table.
- 26.9g (10.5g saturated)
- 29.7g (12.5g sugars)
- 375g all-butter puff pastry
- Plain flour for dusting
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 40g unsalted butter, cubed
- 500g small beetroot, scrubbed and halved
- 200g banana shallots, halved
- 2 tbsp light brown soft sugar
- 1 tbsp sherry vinegar
- 1 tsp juniper berries, lightly crushed
For the dressing
- 35g walnuts, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh dill
- Grated zest ½ orange and 2 tbsp juice
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Heat the oven to 200°C/fan180°C/gas 6. Roll out and trim the puff pastry on a floured work surface to a 32cm circle. Put the pastry on a baking sheet lined with baking paper, prick all over with a fork, then chill.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil and butter in a 23-25cm (across the rim) heavy-based ovenproof frying pan over a medium heat. Add the remaining tarte ingredients, season and stir until well combined. Cover with foil, then bake for 60-75 minutes until the beetroot is tender to the point of a knife. Remove from the oven and arrange the vegetables so the shallots are evenly dispersed.
- Drape the pastry loosely over the pan, tucking in the edges around the filling. Bake for 20-25 minutes more until golden and crisp. Remove from the oven, leave to cool for 2 minutes, then turn out onto a board or platter.
- Combine the dressing ingredients in a bowl and season well. Spoon over the tart just before serving.
To freeze, follow the recipe up to the end of step 2, then leave to cool. Top with the pastry, then cover with foil and freeze in the pan. Bake from frozen for 35-40 minutes, covering with foil if it colours too much. Finish with step 4.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...