Bacon, beans and lemon carbonara
- April 2017
- Serves 4
- Hands on time 20 min
You only need 20 minutes to make our take on classic carbonara. Made with bacon, broad beans, and orechiette pasta – for catching the cheesy sauce.
- 13.7g (4g saturated)
- 78.2g (11.3g sugars)
- 350g dried pasta shapes (we used orechiette)
- 400g frozen pea and bean mix (or use frozen peas)
- 3 large free-range eggs, lightly beaten
- 50g pack cooked crispy bacon, broken into shards
- 25g freshly grated parmesan
- Handful fresh herbs (such as basil, mint, parsley), chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- Finely grated zest 1 lemon and juice ½
- 140g pack sun-blush tomatoes in oil, halved if large
- Boil a kettle of water, then pour it into a large saucepan. Add salt, put a lid on and bring back to the boil. Cook the pasta according to the pack instructions until al dente, adding the frozen pea and bean mix for the final 4 minutes of the cooking time.
- Drain the pasta/veg briskly, so they’re still a bit wet, then return to the pan (off the heat) – a little starchy water helps create a sauce. Quickly stir in the eggs (the residual heat from the pasta will cook them), then stir in the crispy bacon shards, parmesan, herbs, garlic and lemon zest and juice, along with a good grinding of black pepper. Serve topped with the sun-blush tomatoes.
Make it vegetarian: Omit the bacon and use a vegetarian cheese. Stir in a tub of halved chargrilled artichokes, drained, in step 2.
Rate & review