Pulled ginger beer gammon salad with quinoa
- November 2020
- Serves 4-6
- Hands-on time 20 min, oven time 1 1/2 hours
Celebrate the flavours of Christmas all throughout winter with this pulled ginger beer gammon and quinoa salad, which comes dressed with orange segments and pomegranate seeds for a festive touch.
- Dairy-free recipes
- Gluten-free recipes
- 27.4g (7.9g saturated)
- 23.3g (11.1g sugars)
- 750g gammon joint
- Splash of vegetable oil for frying
- 1 onion, sliced
- 250ml fiery ginger beer
- 140g quinoa
- 2 small oranges, cut into segments, reserving any juice
- 4 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1½ tbsp pomegranate molasses
- Grated zest and juice ½ large lemon
- 120g bag watercress
- 150g pomegranate seeds
You’ll also need…
- Medium shallow hob-safe casserole (one with a lid)
- Heat the oven to 200°C/180°C fan/gas 6. Cut the gammon into 5cm chunks and brown on all sides in the casserole with a splash of oil over a medium-high heat for 4-5 minutes. Stir in the onion and fry for 2 minutes, then pour in the ginger beer and 250ml water. Bring to the boil, cover, then oven-cook for 1½ hours. The gammon should pull apart – if not, cook for a little longer. Cool, then shred and mix with its juices.
- Meanwhile, put the quinoa in a small pan with 500ml cold water. Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat to low-medium and simmer for 15 minutes or until soft and fluffy (add a splash more water if the quinoa starts to dry out).
- Mix the orange juice with the olive oil, pomegranate molasses, lemon zest and juice in a small bowl, then season.
- Drain the cooked quinoa and transfer to a large bowl. Toss with most of the dressing, then put on a platter. Sprinkle with the watercress, orange segments and pomegranate seeds, then top with the shredded ham. Serve with the remaining dressing in a small bowl.
Don’t fancy quinoa? Use a pouch of ready-cooked grains or wholemeal rice (check it’s gluten free if need be).
Cook the pulled gammon, cool, cover and chill, then reheat on the hob to serve with the salad.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...