Red wine braised beef and vegetable stew
- February 2017
- Serves 2 with leftovers
- Hands-on time 30 min, simmering time 3½-4 hours
Meaty, comforting cooking is one of the pleasures of the cooler months. This stew recipe is quick to put together but it does have a lengthy cook time – making it perfect for a lazy Sunday afternoon.
- 14.5g (4.3g saturated)
- 18.5g (10.4g sugars)
- Olive oil for frying
- 1 onion, finely sliced
- 3 small carrots, thinly sliced
- 1 leek, thinly sliced
- 100g chestnut mushrooms, halved
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 750g British beef shin, diced
- 2 tbsp plain flour
- 2 tbsp tomato purée
- 2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 250ml red wine
- 400ml beef stock (we like Knorr)
- Small bunch fresh thyme sprigs
- Jacket potatoes or mashed potato to serve
- In a deep, heavy-based casserole with a lid, heat a glug of oil over a medium heat. Add the onion, carrots and leek, then fry for 5 minutes until starting to soften. Add the mushrooms and garlic and fry for 4 minutes more, stirring occasionally.
- Add the beef, flour, tomato purée and Worcestershire sauce. Turn up the heat and brown the meat for a minute or so, stirring. Add the wine, bubble to reduce for 1-2 minutes, then add the stock and thyme. Bring to the boil, then turn down to the lowest setting until the stew is barely simmering. Put the lid on the pot and simmer for 3½-4 hours, stirring every 45 minutes to prevent it catching on the bottom (to cook it in the oven). Check the beef is tender, taste and season, then serve with jacket/mashed potatoes.
Use half a batch of stew, or any leftovers, to make these recipes:
Try to buy beef shin steaks with the bone in (ask your butcher, or buy from Ocado or Waitrose). Cook the bone in the stew with the meat; the marrow gives it extra flavour. If you’d rather simmer the dish in the oven, bring it to the boil, cover and cook for 3-3½ hours at 150°C/130°C fan/gas 2.
The finished dish will keep, covered in the fridge, for 3-4 days. Freeze in freezer bags or a sealed plastic container for up to 3 months.
Rate & review