Beetroot, cumin and tomatoes
- July 2004
- 400g can plum tomatoes
- 1 bunch beetroot, about 450g
- 4 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 tsp whole cumin seeds
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- ½ tsp dried chilli flakes (optional)
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar or juice of 1 small lemon
- Squish the tomatoes into a colander so that all the juice has gone and you have a pulp. Peel the beetroot and cut it into small wedges. Heat the oil and fry the cumin seeds, garlic, onion and chilli flakes, if using, until soft and golden brown.
- Add the beetroot, tomato, vinegar or lemon juice along with 200ml water and 1 teaspoon of salt. Bring the ingredients to a simmer, cover and cook for between 30 minutes and 1 hour – this will depend on your beetroot. Test to see if the beetroot is tender and keep cooking if it is not.
- When the beetroot is tender, uncover and turn up the heat to thicken the sauce if it seems wet, but don’t forget to stir so that it doesn’t catch on the pan.
This recipe is great hot or cold.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Beetroot and apple pickle with caraway and coriander
”You can grate the beetroot and apples if you’re making...
Salmon fillet recipes
Beetroot-marinated salmon with dill pickled rice salad
Looking for a Mother’s Day lunch recipe, or something special...
Subscribe to our magazine
Food lovers, treat yourself this Christmas... Enjoy 12 months of magazines for £29.99 – just £2.50 an issue.Subscribe
Unleash your inner chef
Looking for inspiration? Receive the latest recipes with our newsletter