Caramelised leek, onion and Camembert parcels
- January 2012
- Serves 2
- Takes 15 minutes to make, 45-55 minutes to cook
Sweet caramelised leeks go beautifully with rich creamy cheese and buttery pastry to make this vegetarian main course perfect for a special occasion.
- 46.1g (20.8g saturated)
- 21.9g (9.2g sugars)
- 25g butter plus extra, melted, for brushing
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 red onions, finely sliced
- 2 leeks, sliced into 2cm chunks
- 1 tbsp cider vinegar
- 5 or 6 fresh thyme sprigs, leaves picked
- 4 filo pastry sheets (we like Feuilles de Filo from Waitrose)
- 160g Camembert, sliced
- 25g toasted pine nuts
- Melt the butter in a frying pan with the olive oil, then add the onions, leeks, vinegar and thyme leaves. Cover with a lid and cook over a low heat for 20-25 minutes until the vegetables are soft. Remove the lid, season well and continue cooking for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until caramelised and golden. Set aside to cool.
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/fan180°C/gas 6. Brush 1 sheet of filo with melted butter, place another sheet on top and brush with more butter. Do the same with the other 2 sheets so you have 2 doubled sheets of layered buttered filo.
- Place equal amounts of Camembert in the middle of the doubled sheets of filo, then top with the onion mix and the pine nuts. Fold one side over, then the opposite side over the top. Press together to seal. Do the same with the other sides, then brush all over the top with more melted butter.
- Place on a baking sheet and bake for 20-25 minutes until golden brown. Serve with a salad of green leaves.
Try using a different type of cheese, such as Taleggio or goat’s cheese.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Christmas starter recipes
Herbed lentil and beetroot ‘couscous’ with halloumi
This colourful and herby vegetarian dish is healthy, filling and tastes great too. The beetroot...
Celeriac and apple soup with girolle mushrooms and cheesy toasts
This autumnal soup recipe uses seasonal ingredients such as celeriac, apple and mushrooms to make...
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...