- October 2009
- Serves 8-10
- Hands on time 25 mins
These cauliflower fritters are the perfect party food recipe,
- Vegetarian recipes
- ½ large cauliflower, cut into florets
- 60g plain flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 60g Freedom Food labelled Cheddar or Gruyère cheese
- ½ tsp grated nutmeg
- ½ tsp dried red chilli
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 whole Freedom Food labelled eggs
- 600ml vegetable oil for deep-frying
- Place the cauliflower into boiling water and cook for 5-7 minutes or until just tender. Don’t let it go soggy, slightly under cooked is great because you want the fritters to have a bit of texture.
- Drain and rinse the florets under cold water to stop the cooking process. Chop them into smallish chunks and place in a bowl.
- Sift the flour and the baking powder into a mixing bowl and add the cheese, nutmeg and chilli. Season. Make a well in the centre and drop in the eggs. Slowly mix with a wooden spoon until it is all incorporated and most of the lumps have gone. Fold in the cauliflower florets and coat thoroughly in the batter.
- Heat the oil, preferably in a deep-fat fryer to 170°C/325°F/Gas Mark 3. If you don’t have one, heat the oil in a deep-sided pan. It will be at the correct temperature if you drop in a piece of bread and it bubbles instantly.
- Take a tablespoonful of the mix and slide it into the fryer, using another spoon to push the mix off if it helps. Always work away from you when deep-frying. Fry the fritters until golden brown and remove from the oil. Place on absorbent paper, sprinkle with salt. Serve alongside a roast dinner or as a great veggie starter.
Enjoy alongside a roast or as a veggie starter.
Rate & review