Cauliflower fritters with spiced yogurt
- March 2012
- Serves 4
- Takes 30 minutes to make, 15 minutes to cook
These cauliflower fritters are an excellent pre-dinner bite, and are fantastic when paired with the spiced yogurt and a mint chutney.
- 15.8g (2.4g saturated)
- 11.3g (5.2g sugars)
- 1 tsp vegetable oil, plus extra for deep-frying
- ½ cauliflower, broken into florets
- Handful of fresh coriander leaves
- 2 tsp yellow mustard seeds
- 2-3 fresh curry leaves, finely sliced (see tip)
- 150ml natural yogurt
For the batter
- 25g gram (chickpea) flour
- 12g rice flour
- ½ tsp fine sea salt
- ½ tsp ground turmeric
- ½ tsp ground cumin powder
- Large pinch of red chilli powder
- 5 fresh curry leaves, finely chopped (see tip)
- 75ml sparkling water
- Make the batter by mixing all the dry ingredients and curry leaves in a small bowl. Make a well in the middle, pour in the water and stir until smooth.
- Heat about 10cm of vegetable oil in a deep-fat fryer or deep pan to 180°C or until a cube of bread browns in 30 seconds. Coat the cauliflower florets in the batter, then deep-fry in batches for 2½-3 minutes until golden and cooked through. Drain on kitchen paper and scatter with the coriander leaves.
- Heat 1 tsp oil in a small frying pan over a medium heat and add the mustard seeds and curry leaves. Fry for 30 seconds until the seeds start to pop. Remove from the heat and stir into the yogurt. Season. Serve the fritters with the spiced yogurt and mint chutney.
Fresh curry leaves are available from many Asian grocers, but you can use the same number of dried curry leaves (from major supermarkets).
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Smoky sweetcorn fritters with tarragon yogurt
Smoky sweetcorn fritters are vegetarian food done right – served warm from the pan with...
Parmesan cauliflower fritters
These parmesan fritters work as a delicious starter or snack, and are a great way...
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...