Chargrilled steak with caramelised golden beetroot
- November 2006
- Serves 4
- Takes 15 minutes to make, about 45 minutes in the oven, plus resting
This chargrilled steak with caramelised golden beetroots recipe tastes every bit as good as it looks.
- 17.6g (8.2g saturated)
- 24.8g (21g sugar)
- 600g small golden beetroot (from greengrocers and farmers’ markets)
- 1 large red onion, cut into wedges
- 40g butter, cubed
- 40g light muscovado sugar
- 200ml vegetable stock, hot
- 2 tbsp fresh thyme leaves
- 1-2 tbsp balsamic syrup or glaze (from major supermarkets)
- 4 good-quality rump or sirloin steaks
- Olive oil, for brushing
- Preheat the oven to 220°C/fan200°C/gas 7. Peel the golden beetroot, cut into chunky wedges and put into a large roasting tin with the red onion wedges. Dot with the butter, sprinkle over the sugar and pour over the hot stock. Scatter with the thyme leaves and season well with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Cook in the oven for about 35 minutes, turning halfway, until the beetroot is just tender. Stir in the balsamic syrup or glaze and cook for a further 10 minutes, until the juices have reduced and become quite sticky.
- About 15 minutes before the beetroot is ready, place a large griddle or frying pan over a high heat. Brush the steaks all over with a little olive oil, then season well with salt and freshly ground black pepper. When the pan is hot, add the steaks and cook for 2 – 4 minutes each side, for rare to medium. Set aside to rest for 5 minutes.
- Divide the steaks between 4 warm serving plates and spoon the caramelised beetroot and red onion alongside.
Rate & review
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...