Chicken & bean casserole
- January 2018
- Serves 2
- Hands-on time 15 min, simmering time 28-30 min
This packed-with-goodness hotpot doesn’t skimp on flavour and will leave you feeling satisfied.
- Dairy-free recipes
- Gluten-free recipes
- 5.6g (1.1g saturated)
- 14.9g (6.5g sugars)
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 large skinless, boneless chicken breast (about 200g), chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 celery stick, chopped
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
- 250ml reduced-salt chicken stock
- 125g tinned borlotti beans (rinsed and drained weight)
- 100g baby spinach
You’ll also need…
- Large, lidded flameproof casserole
- Heat 1 tsp olive oil in the casserole. Add the chicken and cook, stirring, for 5 minutes or until browned all over. Transfer to a plate.
- Heat the remaining oil in the casserole, then fry the chopped onion, celery and carrot for 6-8 minutes until starting to soften.
- Return the chicken to the pan and add the mustard and stock. Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat to low. Cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Add the beans and simmer for 8-10 minutes until the chicken is cooked through. Stir in the spinach and cook for 2 minutes to wilt.
If you like, add crushed garlic at the end of step 2 and serve with a squeeze of lemon juice and a handful of fresh parsley. You could also use similar quantities of other vegetables to those used in the recipe – cauliflower, broccoli and mushrooms would all work well.
This makes enough for one person for 2 fast days. Cool the rest, cover and chill or freeze. Reheat in a pan until hot.
Rate & review