Pot-roast chicken with lemon, fennel, peas and beans
- August 2014
- Serves 6
- Hands-on time 15 min, oven time 1 hour 15 min, plus resting
This pot-roast chicken recipe is a delicious taste of spring and early summer, with fennel, green beans, peas and citrus. A laid-back Sunday roast for the family – and a great dish with which to spoil your mum on Mother’s Day.
Or, make this creamy, summery pot roast chicken served with lettuce.
- 6.6g (2.8g saturated)
- 11.2g (6.3g sugars)
- 3 good knobs of butter, softened
- 1.5kg whole free-range chicken at room temperature
- 2 large onions, sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, skins left on, lightly crushed
- 1 lemon, halved
- 2 fennel bulbs, halved and sliced, any fronds reserved
- 500ml white wine
- 3 fresh thyme sprigs, plus extra sprigs to garnish
- 200g green beans
- 200g fresh or frozen (defrosted) peas
- Heat the oven to 200°C/fan180°C/gas 6. Gently push a knob of the butter under the skin of each chicken breast, rubbing it into the flesh. Rub any surplus onto the skin.
- Put the onions, garlic, lemon and fennel into a deep, flameproof casserole and sit the chicken on top. Pour over the white wine and scatter over the thyme. Season generously, cover with the lid (or foil if you don’t have one) and roast for 45 minutes.
- Uncover the chicken and roast for 30 minutes more until golden on top and cooked through (the juices should run clear when you pierce the thickest part of the thigh with a sharp knife). Lift out the chicken, put on a plate or board, loosely cover with foil and rest for 15 minutes.
- Put the casserole with the veg on the hob over a medium heat, then bring to the boil. Reduce to a simmer, then add the green beans and cook for 3-4 minutes until just tender. Add the peas and the remaining knob of butter, then season to taste.
- Transfer the vegetables and chicken to a warmed serving dish. Pour over the cooking juices and scatter over the extra thyme and reserved fennel fronds. Carve the chicken and serve with creamy mashed potatoes, if you like.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Pot-roast cider chicken with creamy onions and gem lettuce
Cooking chicken in this way ensures maximum moistness, yet gives a crispy skin. And there’s...
Pot-roast chicken in Thai curry sauce with citrussy jasmine rice
This aromatic, gently-spiced pot roast limits the washing up without holding back on flavour or...
Pot-roast chicken with pilaf rice, broad beans and lemon
Need a summery Sunday lunch? Richard Bainbridge’s chicken pot-roast is full of fresh vegetables and...