Chicken, lentil and spinach curry
- March 2017
- Serves 2
- Hands-on time 25 min, simmering time 20-25 min
One pack of chicken thighs and several store cupboard ingredients are all it takes to whip up this flavoursome dinner for two. It may not be a curry in a hurry but it is worth the wait.
- 33.3g (10.7g saturated)
- 35.4g (7.8g sugars)
- A glug of sunflower oil
- ½ red onion, finely sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- a thumb-size piece of fresh ginger, grated
- 2½ tbsp Patak’s Mild Curry Paste
- 90g canned green lentils (drained and rinsed)
- 250ml cold water
- 200ml reduced-fat coconut milk
- 4 free range skin-on chicken thighs
- 100g frozen peas
- 100g baby spinach
- ½ small bunch fresh coriander, roughly chopped
- Good spoonful of natural yogurt
- A couple of lime wedges
- Heat sunflower oil in a large frying pan, then fry the red onion over a medium heat for 5-6 minutes until starting to soften.
- Add the garlic and ginger, then fry for 1 minute. Add the curry paste and fry for 3 minutes, then add the lentils, water and coconut milk. Bring to a gentle simmer, then add the chicken thighs. Cover and simmer gently for 20-25 minutes until the chicken is cooked through.
- Remove the chicken, discard the skin and bones, then shred the meat into the curry. Add the peas and baby spinach, then heat. Taste, season, then stir in the coriander. Serve in bowls, topped with a good spoonful of natural yogurt and a couple of lime wedges.
Make up to 24 hours in advance, then cool and chill in an airtight container. Gently reheat in a saucepan on the hob until piping hot.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Dinner ideas for two
Roast sea bream with fennel, sourdough and preserved lemons
Enjoy the classic fresh flavours of this quick and easy sea bream recipe for two...