Chicken schnitzel open sandwiches
- August 2012
- Serves 4
- Ready in 12 min
A quick and easy chicken sandwich recipe ideal for a midweek meal.
- 29.1g (6.3g saturated)
- 47g (3.7g sugar)
- 4 small skinless free-range chicken breasts
- 3 tbsp plain flour, seasoned
- 2 medium free-range eggs, lightly beaten
- 100g semolina
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 4 tbsp fresh mayonnaise
- 2 tsp Dijon mustard
- 4 thick sourdough slices
- 2 large ripe tomatoes, sliced
- 1 little gem lettuce, leaves separated
- Pecorino shavings
- Lemon wedges to serve
- Place the chicken breasts between 2 pieces of cling film and, using a rolling pin, flatten until 1.5cm thick. Put the flour, eggs and semolina in 3 separate bowls. Coat each chicken piece in the seasoned flour, followed by the beaten egg, then the semolina.
- In a large frying pan, heat the oil over a high heat. Fry the schnitzels – in batches if necessary – for 4-5 minutes, turning once, until golden and cooked through. Meanwhile, mix the mayonnaise with the mustard and spread over the sourdough slices. Top with a few slices of tomato and lettuce leaves.
- Cut the cooked schnitzels in half and arrange 2 on top of each sourdough slice. Finish with pecorino shavings and serve with lemon wedges on the side.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Lunch recipes to take to work
Smoked chicken, parsley pesto and crisp gem lettuce baguette
Baguettes are filled with smoked chicken, homemade parsley pesto and crisp gem lettuce for this...
Grilled steak and salsa sarnie
This succulent and slightly daring steak sandwich recipe takes just five minutes to prepare.