- October 2012
- Makes about 1 litre
- Hands on time 5 mins, plus 50 mins cooking time
This chilli jam recipe is quick and easy to make and is the perfect edible gift
- 2.5g (2.4g sugars)
- Trace salt
- 3 medium red chillies, roughly chopped
- 6 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 large thumb-size pieces of fresh ginger (about 60g), roughly chopped
- 1kg ripe tomatoes (about 8 medium tomatoes), halved
- 450g demerara sugar
- 3 tbsp Thai fish sauce (nam pla)
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 120ml red wine vinegar
- Put the chillies, garlic and ginger into the bowl of a food processor, then blitz until finely chopped. Add the tomatoes and blitz until you have a smooth mixture. Transfer to a large saucepan over a medium heat.
- Stir in the sugar, Thai fish sauce, balsamic vinegar and red wine vinegar. Bring to the boil, stirring regularly, then reduce the heat and keep at a steady simmer for 45 minutes or until the jam has reduced by half its volume. Stir every 5-10 minutes so the jam doesn’t catch and burn at the bottom of the pan.
- When ready, allow the jam to cool, then transfer to sterilised jars. Cool completely before sealing and placing in the fridge.
Rate & review