Fig jam scented with earl grey tea and star anise
- September 2017
- Makes 600ml
- Hands-on time 25 min
Thane Prince’s luscious, soft-set preserve uses the the flavour of earl grey tea to add a subtle scent of bergamot. The jam will keep for 6 months in an unopened sterilised jar.
- Dairy-free recipes
- Gluten-free recipes
- no fat
- 12.5g (12.5g sugars)
- 0.2g fibre
- no salt
Per 25g serving
- 500ml freshly boiled water
- 4 earl grey tea bags
- 500g small ripe figs
- 500g jam sugar (sugar with pectin added)
- 6 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp finely ground star anise
You’ll also need…
- 3 x 200ml sterilised jars
- Put 2 small plates in the freezer ready to test the set of the jam. Pour 500ml boiling water into a jug with the tea bags and leave it to brew for about 10 minutes.
- Wash the figs, then cut off the stems. Quarter or dice the fruit and put in a heavy-based pan or a preserving pan. Add the tea bags and water and bring up to a simmer. Cook at a gentle bubble until the figs are very soft (10-15 minutes), then remove the tea bags and add the sugar, lemon juice and star anise. Keeping the heat low, stir the preserve until you’re sure all the sugar has dissolved and there’s no grittiness left in the mixture.
- Turn up the heat, bring the mixture to a rolling boil and cook for 6 minutes (set a timer). Turn off the heat, then test the jam for a set.
- Using a jam funnel if you have one, pot the jam into the still-hot sterilised jars. Seal with the lids, leave to cool, then label before storing in a cool dark place until needed.
The unopened jam will keep for up to 6 months. Once opened, keep refrigerated and use within two weeks.
To test if the jam is set, drop a tiny dollop onto a plate chilled in the freezer and wait a few moments before pushing the side of the mixture with your finger. If the skin on top wrinkles, the jam is ready; if not, boil again and retest every 2 minutes until it’s set.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...