Coconut and pineapple ice cream
- July 2007
- for 4 people
- Takes 30 minutes to make, plus cooling, infusing and freezing
This coconut and pineapple ice cream has a fantastically tropical taste – and most of the work is done by your freezer.
Per serving: 635kcals, 49.5g fat (34g saturated), 6.4g protein, 43.7g carbs, 37.4g sugar, 0.1g salt
- 400ml can coconut milk
- Pared strip of lime zest, plus juice of 1 lime
- 3 egg yolks
- 100g caster sugar
- 2 tsp cornflour
- 300g pineapple pieces, plus extra wedges to serve
- 200ml double cream
- Toasted coconut flakes, to serve (see tip)
- Place the coconut milk in a saucepan with the lime zest. Bring to just below boiling point, then remove from the heat and set aside to cool and infuse for 20 minutes.
- Whisk the egg yolks in a bowl with the sugar and cornflour until smooth. Gradually add the coconut milk, whisking constantly. Return to the saucepan and heat gently, stirring, until the custard thickens. Remove from the heat and strain into a clean bowl, discarding the lime zest. Cover with baking paper and set aside to cool.
- Meanwhile, whizz the pineapple in a food processor for a few seconds, until it’s a rough purée. Stir into the custard with the cream and lime juice.
- Place the ice cream mixture in a freezerproof container and freeze for 45 minutes. Remove from the freezer, beat well, then return to the freezer for a further 2 hours. Alternatively, pour into an ice cream maker and churn until thick.
- Serve scoops of ice cream with wedges of fresh pineapple. Sprinkle with toasted coconut and decorate with pineapple leaves, if you like.
Buy a small fresh pineapple and slice into bite-size pieces, or use canned pineapple chunks, drained of any syrup. If using fresh pineapple, reserve the green tops to decorate. Buy coconut flakes from health food shops and lightly toast under a medium grill.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Mango dessert recipes
Mango baked in coconut sugar and kaffir lime with coconut ice cream
”This is a great end to a spicy meal. It makes more ice cream than...
Frozen dessert recipes
Banana and coconut no-churn ice cream with brandy and caramel sauce
Creamy banana ice-cream topped with a boozy caramel sauce; the ultimate luxurious dessert.