Mango baked in coconut sugar and kaffir lime with coconut ice cream
- February 2018
- Serves 4-6
- Hands-on time 30 min, plus churning and freezing
”This is a great end to a spicy meal. It makes more ice cream than you need but it’s so good you won’t want to stop eating it. To simplify the recipe, serve the mango with coconut yogurt instead of making ice cream.” – the late food writer Valli Little
Recipe from My Kind of Food by Valli Little (ABC Books), published in Australia.
- Gluten-free recipes
- 38.3g (26.5g saturated)
- 50.1g (49g sugars)
- 2 large ripe mangoes
- 110g coconut sugar or soft light brown sugar
- 4 fresh kaffir lime leaves
- 1 vanilla pod, split, seeds scraped (or 1 tsp vanilla bean paste)
For the coconut ice cream
- 400ml coconut milk
- 300ml double cream
- 110g caster sugar
- For the ice cream, put the ingredients in a pan and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat to low and simmer for 5 minutes. Set aside to cool slightly, then chill for 2-3 hours. Churn in an ice cream machine according to the instructions, then freeze for 4 hours until firm. It will keep for 1 week.
- Remove the ‘cheeks’ from each mango, then peel off the skin. Cross-hatch the flesh, taking care not to cut all the way through.
- Put the coconut sugar, lime leaves, vanilla pod and seeds in an ovenproof frying pan with 125ml cold water. Cook over a low heat, stirring, until the sugar has dissolved. Put the mango cheeks in the syrup and simmer, basting with the syrup, just until the mango has warmed through.
- Heat the grill to high. Put the pan under and cook for 1-2 minutes until the mango tops are tinged golden. Serve with the coconut ice cream, drizzled with the warm syrup.
If you don’t have an ice cream maker, freeze the cooled ice cream mixture in step 1 for 1 hour, then break up the ice crystals with a fork until smooth. Repeat 3-4 times until frozen.
Coconut sugar is made from the sap of the flower bud of the coconut palm. It’s available from large supermarkets and health food shops.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Thai sticky rice with mango
This Thai sticky rice with mango recipe is deliciously sweet and is the Thai version...
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...