Corn and fish chowder
- October 2015
- 80g pancetta cubes
- 2 large leeks
- Large knob of butter
- 1 litre good quality fish stock (we like Knorr)
- 350g small new potatoes
- 1 tbsp plain flour
- 350g fresh or frozen sweetcorn kernels
- 2 pollock, coley or other sustainable white fish fillets
- 60ml double cream
- ½ bunch chives
- Squeeze of lemon juice and wedges to serve
- Fry the pancetta in a large, deep frying pan on a medium heat until crisp, stirring now and then. Remove and set aside. Finely slice the leeks, add the butter to the pan and fry gently for 10 minutes until soft, stirring occasionally.
- Add the stock, increase the heat and bring to the boil. Quarter the potatoes and add them, then cook for 6-7 minutes until nearly tender. Remove 6 tbsp broth and mix in a small bowl with the flour until smooth, then add back into the pan and stir well. Add the sweetcorn, then bring back to a simmer. Chop the fish into bite-size pieces. Add the fish and cook for a couple of minutes until just opaque. Stir in the cream, snip in the chives, season generously with salt and pepper and a squeeze of lemon juice, then serve with lemon wedges.
Rate & review