Courgette som tam
- September 2005
- Serves 4
- Hands on time 20 mins, plus marinating
This low-cal, fresh Thai salad is delicious on its own or served with grilled fish or chicken.
- Dairy-free recipes
- Gluten-free recipes
- 11.9g (2.3g saturated)
- 9.2g (7g sugars)
- 2 medium courgettes, trimmed
- 1 medium carrot, trimmed
- 100g French green beans, topped and tailed
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1-2 small red chillies, deseeded and sliced lengthways
- Fresh coriander leaves, to garnish
- 100g roasted peanuts, roughly crushed, to serve
For the dressing
- 2 tbsp Thai fish sauce (nam pla)
- Juice of 2 limes
- 1 tsp sugar or honey
- Using a potato peeler, peel the courgettes along their length, then just keep going, making strips of the flesh until you reach the seed pod in the centre. Discard the seed pod. Peel the carrot in the same way. (You could also just grate both vegetables.) Put both vegetables into a large bowl.
- Blanch the green beans in plenty of boiling salted water for no longer than a couple of minutes, until they are just tender. Drain and rinse in cold water. Add to the bowl of vegetables, along with the chopped garlic and sliced chilli.
- Make the dressing: mix the fish sauce, lime juice and sugar, then season to taste. Pour the dressing over the vegetables, toss together and allow the salad to sit for a good 30 minutes before serving – this will deepen the flavour and have the effect of slightly ‘cooking’ the carrot and courgette.
- Divide the salad between plates. Garnish with coriander leaves and serve with the crushed peanuts to sprinkle over.
Rate & review