Crispy chicken legs with vegetable pilaf
- September 2015
- Serves 4
- Hands-on time 25 min, oven time 30 min
The crispy casing on these chicken drumsticks is made with essential oil-packed nuts and seeds, great for brain and heart function.
- 25.2g (4.7g saturated)
- 59.1g (3.7g sugars)
- 4 free-range chicken legs
- 125g mixed nuts and seeds
- 2 free-range eggs
- 2 glugs olive oil, plus extra
- 250g brown rice
- 200g green beans
- 200g peas
- 1-2 lemons
- Heat the oven to 200°C/fan 180°C/gas 6. Using a heavy knife, joint the chicken legs into drumsticks and thighs. Remove the skin (see p106).
- Whizz the nuts and seeds to a coarse crumb in a processor (or crush in a freezer bag with a rolling pin). Tip onto a plate.
- Crack the eggs into a bowl, whisk briefly and season well. Dip the chicken in the eggs, shaking off any excess, then roll in the nut mix to coat. Put in an oiled roasting tin, drizzle with more oil, then roast for 35 minutes or until cooked.
- Meanwhile, put the rice in a pan with a pinch of salt and enough cold water to cover by 2cm. Bring to the boil, then lower the heat to just bubbling. Cover and cook gently for 25-30 minutes until tender.
- Halve the green beans, then 5 minutes before the rice is ready, add the beans and peas to the pan. Cover and cook until just tender. Stir the juice of 1 lemon into the rice with a little oil. Taste and season; add more juice if needed.
This is great with tangy garlic yogurt: stir a crushed garlic clove into Greek yogurt with lots of seasoning.
Rate & review