Mexican chicken and red rice burrito bowls
- August 2019
- Serves 4
- Hands-on time 15 min, simmering time 5 min
Use a few spare tortilla wraps and some leftover chicken to help make these filling and healthy Mexican chicken and rice burrito bowls.
Check out our breakfast burrito recipe too for a fantastic way to kickstart the day.
- Dairy-free recipes
- 10.7g (2.3g saturated)
- 52.2g (8.5g sugars)
- Juice 2 limes, plus extra wedges to serve
- 1 small red onion, finely sliced
- 2 leftover corn tortilla wraps
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2-3 tbsp fajita spice mix, to taste
- 200ml tomato passata
- 250g cooked basmati rice (use a ready-cooked pouch if you want to)
- 198g tin sweetcorn, drained
- 400g tin black beans, drained and rinsed
- Large handful fresh coriander, roughly chopped
- 450g leftover roast chicken or 3 cooked free-range chicken breasts, shredded
- Put the lime juice in a small glass or ceramic bowl, then add the red onion and a generous pinch of salt. Toss, then set aside to quick-pickle.
- Heat the grill to medium-high. Grill the wraps for a minute or so on each side until lightly golden. Cool, then roughly break up to make chunky croutons (see Make Ahead).
- Heat the vegetable oil in a frying pan, add the spice mix and fry for 1 minute until fragrant. Pour in the passata and bring to a simmer, cook for a few minutes, then add the rice. Cook for 5 minutes until piping hot.
- Toss the sweetcorn, black beans and most of the coriander together in a mixing bowl.
- Divide the rice, sweetcorn and bean mixture, quick-pickled red onion and shredded chicken among 4 serving bowls. Top with the tortilla croutons and remaining coriander, then serve with lime wedges to squeeze over.
Keep the cooled tortilla croutons in an airtight container for up to 2 days.
Rate & review