Cuttlefish and beans
- February 2005
- Serves 4 people
- Ready in 1½ hours
There’s plenty of sauce with this hearty cuttlefish and bean one-pot recipe. Serve bruschetta for the mop up. See the recipe for a link to instructions on how to prepare cuttlefish.
- 19.3g (3.1g saturated)
- 29.7g (7g sugar)
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 2 medium onions, sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
- ½ tsp salt
- 1kg cuttlefish or squid, cleaned, gutted and cut into pieces (see Tip)
- 1 medium waxy potato, roughly diced
- 1 tbsp tomato purèe
- ½ tsp Spanish smoked paprika
- 125ml red wine
- 400g can borlotti or cannellini beans
- ½ tsp sugar
- Pinch of saffron
- Fresh flatleaf parsley, to garnish
- Extra-virgin olive oil, to serve
- Heat the oil in a large, heavy-based saucepan or casserole. Add the onions, garlic and salt. Stir a couple of times and reduce the heat. Cover and let the onions sweat gently for
- a good 10 minutes.
- Add the cuttlefish or squid and the potatoes. Stir for a couple of minutes to coat in the oil and onions. Add the tomato purèe, paprika and wine and turn up the heat so that the wine bubbles for a couple of minutes. Add the beans, plus all their liquor, the sugar and saffron, then top up with just enough water to cover it. 3. Cook, covered, on a gentle heat for 40-45 minutes or until the cuttlefish is tender enough to break with a fork.
Rate & review
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...