Squid, fennel and chorizo salad with orange oil
- March 2016
- Serves 4
- Hands-on time 20 min, plus overnight infusing
Nathan Outlaw’s zingy squid salad recipe is perfect to serve as an everyone-dig-in starter at a dinner party.
- Dairy-free recipes
- Gluten-free recipes
- 34.3g (6.8g saturated)
- 6.7g (6.5g sugars)
- 2 fennel bulbs, trimmed
- 1 large or 2 medium oranges, cut into segments
- Olive oil for cooking
- 200g cooking chorizo, sliced
- 200g squid, prepared into rings, tentacles and wings
- 2 tsp chopped fresh chives
For the orange oil (makes about 200ml)
- Thinly pared zest 2 oranges (use the oranges above)
- 150ml light rapeseed oil
- 50ml light olive oil
- For the orange oil, whizz all the ingredients in a blender for 2 minutes. Pour into a jug and leave to infuse for 24 hours. Strain the oil through 2 layers of muslin or a clean J-cloth, discarding the pulp. Keep chilled in a sealed jar and use within 1 month.
- Finely slice the fennel (use a mandoline if you have one), then soak in iced water for 20 minutes to firm it up and make it crisp. Drain, pat dry and put in a serving bowl or on a serving platter with the orange segments.
- Heat a frying pan over a high heat and drizzle in a little olive oil. When hot, add the chorizo and fry for 2-3 minutes or until crisp, then add the squid and fry for a further minute. Season with salt and pepper. Tip the chorizo and squid into the bowl or onto the serving platter with the fennel and orange segments. Add the chives and toss together. Taste and adjust the seasoning if necessary, then drizzle with 5 tbsp of the orange oil and serve.
Rate & review