Dairy-free pineapple and coconut sundaes
- August 2017
- Serves 6-8
- Hands-on time 40 min, oven time 10-15 min, plus freezing
This recipe uses a mix of coconut yogurt, coconut milk and coconut cream to create the silkiest, creamiest tasting dairy-free ice cream you’ve ever had.
- Dairy-free recipes
- 16.6g (12.4g saturated)
- 31.9g (24.2g sugars)
- Finely grated zest and juice 2 limes
- Malibu or other coconut rum (optional)
- Pomegranate seeds to serve (optional)
For the ice cream
- 100g caster sugar
- 1 large pineapple, skin removed and eyes removed; half roughly chopped and half finely diced
- 350g diary-free coconut yogurt (we used Co Yo natural coconut milk yogurt, from Sainsbury’s, Tesco, Waitrose and Ocado)
- 200ml almond or coconut milk
- 160ml coconut cream
- 2 tbsp Malibu or other coconut rum (optional)
- Juice 1 lime
For the oat crumble
- 100g jumbo oats
- 1 egg white, lightly beaten
- 20g demerara sugar
- 40g agave nectar or honey
- 40g coconut flakes
- Heat the oven to 200°C/180°C fan/gas 6. Put the caster sugar in a pan with 100ml water and bring to a simmer, stirring occasionally, until all the sugar has dissolved. Set aside to cool. Put the roughly chopped pineapple in a mini chopper or blender and whizz to a pulp. Push the pulp through a large-holed sieve into a large mixing bowl.
- Mix in the remaining ice cream ingredients and the cooled sugar syrup. If you have an ice cream machine, pour the mixture into the machine’s bowl and churn according to the instructions. (If making by hand, pour the mixture into a plastic lidded container and freeze for 1 hour, then whizz until smooth in a food processor or using an electric hand mixer. Freeze the ice cream for 30-60 minutes, then whizz again until smooth. Repeat 2-3 more times.) Put in the freezer.
- Meanwhile, mix the crumble ingredients in a bowl. Spread the mixture in a thin layer on a baking sheet lined with non-stick baking paper. Bake for 10-15 minutes until set, golden and turning crunchy around the edges. Cool completely, then break into pieces.
- When the ice cream is frozen (the texture will be snow-like), mix the finely diced pineapple with the lime zest and juice and a glug of Malibu, if using. Layer the ice cream in glasses or coconut halves, with the rum-soaked pineapple and oat crumble sprinkled over the top. Scatter with pomegranate seeds, if using.
If you haven’t time to make the crumble, buy some gluten/dairy-free shortbread to crumble over. Let the ice cream stand for 10 minutes out of the freezer before serving.
The ice cream will keep for 1 month in a sealed container in the freezer.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Frozen dessert recipes
‘Feast’ truffle bombes with chocolate hazelnut sauce
Recreate the classic Feast ice cream with these amazing chocolate ice cream truffle bombes, served...